Original symbol of ligurian cuisine, Pesto rappresents the peculiarity of the land where it was born. Simple and palatable sauce,is suitable for a lot of recipes,in accordance with the needs and habits of everybody that uses it.
For Ligurian is a life companion that you strt to appreciate since you were a child,in your first dish of pasta or in a vegetable soup: it is something that stay dug in the sense of smell memory for ever as a tipical food,a sort of maternal nourishment from whom you could not prescind from.
Pesto belongs to ligurian identity as rice for Chinese, potatoes for Peruvian and cous cous for Maghrebian.
Macking pesto in a mortar is a costum that involves all senses:
- sense of smell that breaths the fragrance that exhales strongly from mortar;
- sight of the brilliant green cream exalted by the white of marble that is a pleasure for the eyes;
- taste of trying the cream before adding oil and cheese;
- touch because you have a warm woody pestle in one hand and the other is laen against the thecold marble of the mortar;
- hearing that has its part in the rithmic beat of the pestle against the marble lightly deaden by the cream.
When this rite will be tours,you have learned to make a sort of “memory dish” of ligurian territory wherever you are. This is the reason whyour sauce has such a world-wide diffusion started with the Ligurian emigration to the U.S.A. between ‘800 and ‘900.